A classic meatloaf contains bread crumbs, milk, ketchup and brown sugar… Do you see or hear the warning signs yet? Most of those ingredients are things of the past. And whether avoiding them in favor of losing weight or in desires of regaining your health, approach them as you would gluten. But eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult, and it doesn’t have to break the bank either.
Meatloaf happens to be a budget-friendly meal and you can use whatever kind of ground meat you like, in fact, buffalo chicken meatloaf is a nice spicy version with plenty of hot pepper sauce. However, in keeping with traditions, beef is a good starting point in terms of flavor, as well as the meat coming from a grass-fed animal. It is also a great way to incorporate a healthy dose of vegetables into your protein, so if you want to sneak something in, think mushrooms or garlic, you can chop it small and it will be eaten bite by bite.
In the past you may have eaten meatloaf next to some variety of potato dish, now you can easily replace that with cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower. Meatloaf always accounts for leftovers, so for breakfast the next morning, why not warm up a slice of meatloaf and serve it with sliced avocado and a poached egg?
Keto Meatloaf Recipe
Protein: 48g / %
Fat: 31g / %
Carbs: 8g / %
Net Carbs: 6g
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- Fresh parsley, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a bowl whisk the tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of water, allspice, coconut aminos, and season to taste.
- In another bowl, combine the ground beef, celery, onion, mushroom, garlic, mustard, chili powder, egg, season to taste – and mix well.
- Place the meat mixture in a loaf pan, or shape into a loaf in a baking sheet and bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the meatloaf, and place back in the oven.
- Cook another 12 to 15 minutes, or until beef is cooked through.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.